Charles W. Lind
Mr. Lind advises and defends public entities, including cities, counties and school districts. He has tremendous knowledge of public entity and school law matters, as well as wide experience advising and training board members, superintendents, school staff, and program administrators on all aspects of federal and state law impacting public schools.
Prior to coming to Patterson Buchanan Fobes & Leitch, Mr. Lind served as in-house General Counsel for one of Washington State’s largest school districts from 2006-2013. Mr. Lind has worked with school districts, state agencies, and the US Department of Education to develop sound, workable policies and procedures. He is an active member of the Washington State Council of School Attorneys and served as president of that organization in 2010-2011. Mr. Lind also worked as the district’s Executive Director of Labor Relations for five years working on employee matters and negotiating collective bargaining agreements with the district’s certificated and classified employees.
Prior to becoming General Counsel for a school district, Mr. Lind worked for the King County Prosecuting Attorney for sixteen years. He has vast trial and appellate experience and has argued cases in both state and federal court. He was designated for a period of time as a Special Assistant US Attorney, working with both federal and state authorities to prosecute bank robberies. During the last five years of his time as a prosecutor, Mr. Lind developed a nationally-recognized school violence program for King County that blossomed into a state-wide school safety organization.
As both a prosecutor and school attorney, Mr. Lind has been a featured speaker at presentations and trainings for numerous organizations, including the National Association of School Resource Officers, the National Advocacy Center, the National College of District Attorneys, the National Business Institute, the Washington State Bar Association, the Washington Council of School Attorneys, the Washington Criminal Justice Training Center, and the Washington School Personnel Association.
- University of Washington Law School, Juris Doctorate, 1990
- Corban University, Bachelor of Science, Social Science, summa cum laude
- United States District Court for the Western District of Washington
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Washington State Bar Association
- Washington Council of School Attorneys
- National School Board Association’s Council of School Attorneys
- McLain v. Kent School District, No. 68373-0-1 – (Wash. Ct. of Appeals filed December 16, 2013).
- Requa v. Kent School District No. 415, – 492 F. Supp.2d 1272 (W.D. Wash. 2007).
- State of Washington v. Masangkay, – 153 Wn.2d 1017, 108 P.3d 1228 (2005).
- Allen v. Clark County Fire District No. 6, et al – Plaintiff claimed hostile work environment based on gender; full defense verdict after 6-week jury trial.