Angela N. Marshlain
Angie Marshlain represents both public entities and private clients, with an emphasis on representing school districts, fire districts and equine owners, professionals and organizations. Ms. Marshlain has experience handling a variety of legal issues, including but not limited to, personal injury, sexual abuse, wrongful death, catastrophic injuries, civil rights, discrimination and employment law. In addition, Ms. Marshlain provides general counsel advice to school districts on subjects ranging from employment law to student discipline issues and other general policy issues. Ms. Marshlain routinely practices in both state and federal court, as well as representing clients before the Human Rights Commission, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, and the Office of Civil Rights.
Before joining Patterson Buchanan, Ms. Marshlain was a law clerk for Snohomish County Superior Court Judge David A. Kurtz.
- J.D., magna cum laude, Gonzaga University School of Law, Spokane, WA, 2005
- B.A., University of Washington, Seattle, WA, 2001
- Associate Editor, Gonzaga Law Review
- Supreme Court of the State of Washington
- Supreme Court of the State of Oregon
- U.S. District Court, Western District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Washington
- U.S. District Court, District of Oregon
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Ninth Circuit
- Washington Council of School Attorneys
Publications / Presentations / Speaking Engagements
- "Non-hazing Injuries to Fraternity and Sorority Members: Should the fraternal association be required to assume a parental role?"" Appalachian Journal of Law, Spring, 2006.
- Presenter, "Sex Abuse and Boundary Invasions: How to Hire, Fire, and Dot Your I’s and Cross Your T’s," Washington School Personnel Association, Fall Conference, Tukwila, WA, October 17, 2017.
- Presenter, "Disability Accommodations: What to do When Your HR Action Causes Mental Health Issues," Washington School Personnel Association, Fall Conference, Tukwila, WA, October 18, 2016.
- Presenter, "Federal Legislative Overview of Privacy Protection Laws: HIPAA, FERPA, FOIA and USA-Patriot Act Basics," Public Risk Management Association, Louisville, KY, November 4, 2014.
- Panelist, "HR 101 for School Districts," Washington School Personnel Association Fall Conference, Tukwila, WA, October 17, 2011.
- Workplace Investigations
- Human Resources 101 – Basic Legal Aspects
- Grievances and Arbitration
- Back-To-School Essentials for School Administrators
- Mandatory Reporting Duties for School District Employees
- Sex Abuse and Boundary Invasions
Representative CasesJury Trials include:
- Osborn v. Mukilteo School District. Jury trial involving negligence claims against the Mukilteo School District arising out of a trip-and-fall. Favorable verdict.
- Brees v. Jefferson County, et al. Federal jury trial involving claims of First and Fourth Amendment violations and malicious prosecution. Defense verdict.
- Burdyn v. Old Forge Hose & Engine Company, et al. Federal jury trial involving claims of childhood sexual abuse. Defense verdict.
- Francis v. Clallam County, et al. Obtained summary judgment on behalf of Clallam County on negligence claims asserted in double wrongful death case where teenage drunk driver drove car full of passengers into a river.
- Harsaghy v. Whatcom County Fire Services. Obtained CR 12(b) dismissal of case for Plaintiff’s improper service of complaint.
- Liu v. Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare, et al. Obtained summary judgment on behalf of Cascadia Behavioral Healthcare on legal claims arising out of a mental health hold.