Duncan K. Fobes
Practice AreaMr. Fobes advises and defends public entities, including cities, counties, and school districts. He is an experienced litigator who has tried a number of cases to verdict. His representation has resulted in defense verdicts, favorable settlements and successful appellate decisions. His cases have involved issues of education law, employment, civil rights claims, and general negligence claims.
- University of Washington Law School, Juris Doctorate, 1984
- University of Washington, Bachelor of Arts, 1977
- Supreme Court of the United States of America
- Supreme Court of the State of Washington
- Supreme Court of the State of Oregon
- United States District Court for the District of Oregon
- United States District Court for the Western District of Washington
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of Washington
- United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Multnomah Bar Association
- Oregon State Bar Association
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- International Municipal Lawyers Association
- NSBA Council of School Attorneys
- Washington Council of School Attorneys
- Defense Research Institute
- Education Law Association
- AGRIP (Association of Governmental Risk Pools)
Publications / Presentations / Speaking EngagementsMr. Fobes is a frequent speaker on topics of education law and government liability.
Representative CasesJury Trials include:
- Brown v. Jefferson County – Defense of trucking accident. (Defense verdict.)
- Osborn v. Mukilteo School District – Defense of school district in negligence claim. (Favorable verdict.)
- Watts v. Clallam County – Defense of county in premises liability claim. (Defense verdict.)
- Bowlby v. Cape Flattery School District – Defense of school district in employment claim. (Defense verdict.)
- Blair v. Skyline – Defense of commercial property owner in premises liability case. (Defense verdict.)
- Simpson v. Port Townsend School District – Defense of school district in claim by staff member for alleged violation of free speech rights. (Defense verdict.)
- Boone v. Owen – Defense of commercial trucking company in motor vehicle accident. (Defense verdict.)
- Lee v. Ford – Defense of waste management company in fatal motor vehicle-pedestrian accident. (Favorable verdict.)
- Walker v. State – Defense of county in highway design fatality case. (Favorable verdict.)
- Coomes v. Edmonds School District – Dismissal of free speech claim brought by teacher.
- Capo v. Port Angeles School District – Defense of school district in employment claim by teacher.
- Zandberg v. Edmonds School District, et al. – Defense of school district in free speech/employment claim brought by school district employee. (Affirmed on appeal.)
- Johnson v. Grays Harbor County – Defense of county in alleged 911 negligence claim.